Risk Management at The Mall
Welcome to our Risk Management section. We are committed to operating our business to the highest standards of safety and to minimising any adverse impacts upon the environment. The Risk Management section is intended to inform you about our objectives and targets for the coming year, as well as our performance over the previous year. We wish to maintain our reputation as a safe, secure shopping environment and continuously monitor our operations in order to improve them where ever we can.
Health and Safety
We have a robust safety management system, which this year is being subjected to external scrutiny by the British Standards Institution, with a view to gaining OHSAS 18001 accreditation.
Our Environmental Management System was successfully audited against the requirements of ISO 14001 in November 2003.
Health and Safety Policy Statement
Health and Safety Policy Statement for the Mall at Cribbs Causeway, The Venue and The Retail Park
(The Full Health and Safety Policy Document is available from the Management Offices)
1. The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, imposes statutory duties on employers and employees. To enable these statutory duties to be carried out, it is the policy of Prudential Assurance Company Ltd, so far as is reasonably practicable, to ensure that responsibilities for health and safety are properly assigned, accepted and fulfilled at all levels of the Organisation. As the nominated senior person representing Prudential on site, I affirm that it is our policy to ensure the Health, Safety and Welfare of all our employees while at work; in addition we accept that we have a duty of care to employees of our facilities management contractor, MacLellan International. Furthermore, it is our policy to ensure the Health, Safety and Welfare of any other persons who may be effected by our work activities such as retail staff, contractors and members of the public. To assist me, I have appointed a Compliance Manager as the on-site Competent Person with regard to health, safety and fire prevention. The full policy document is available from the Management Offices on request.
2. It is my intention, so far as is reasonably practicable, to ensure that:
- The provision and maintenance of plant and systems of work are safe and without risks to health.
- Arrangements for use, handling, storage and transport or articles and substances for use at work are safe and without risks to health.
- Adequate information is available with respect to articles and substances used at work detailing the conditions and precautions necessary to ensure that when properly used they will be safe and without risk to health.
- The provision of such information, instruction, training and supervision as is necessary to secure the health and safety at work of all employees.
- With regard to any premises under our control or operation on which we are working, the maintenance of all plant, machinery and equipment so that they are safe not only to employees and sub-contractors but to any person who may be affected.
- The working environment is safe and without risks to health and that adequate provisions are made with regard to the facilities and arrangements for their welfare at work.
- The Health and Safety Policy is appraised and updated as and when necessary following liaison with the Compliance Manager and Health and Safety Consultants. Communication of any such changes will be made to all employees. Retailers will be represented via The Mall Safety, Health and Fire Committee.
- The above responsibilities are carried out by Store Managers for the demised parts under their control.
3. I remind all staff that it is the duty of every employee at work:
- To take reasonable steps to protect their health and safety and the health and safety of other persons who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work.
- Co-operate with all health and safety arrangements in the workplace, including risk controls, safe systems and personal protective equipment.
- The above duties fall upon all retail staff and contractors carrying out business on the premises.
Commercial Director - February 2006
Environmental Policy Statement
Environmental Policy Statement for the Mall at Cribbs Causeway, The Venue and The Retail Park
(The Full Environmental Policy Document is available from the Management Offices)
The Mall, the Venue and the Retail Park are all retail / leisure premises at Cribbs Causeway owned by Prudential Assurance Company Ltd. It is the policy of Prudential that all businesses on its premises will fully comply with the Environmental legislative requirements appertaining to their operations, and that those charged with the management of its premises will use the utmost due diligence, to achieve compliance. Prudential is a signatory to the UN Environment Programme for Financial Institutions on the environment and Sustainable Development.
As Commercial Director, I am committed to raising environmental quality standards and to following a process of continual improvement across all premises under my control. (To assist me, I have appointed a Compliance Manager as the on-site competent person with regard to Environmental matters). I fully expect our facilities management contractor, as well as all our tenants, sub contractors and visitors to share in this environmental management strategy.
Prudential, through our facilities management contractor, employs this policy across all its service delivery and procurement procedures for clients as part of its environmental management system. The quality and safety of Prudential's services are of paramount importance. At Cribbs Causeway, Prudential will continue to monitor closely all issues relating to its operation, and will take action where appropriate.
A full environmental perspective extends beyond the current service provision and at Cribbs Causeway we will strive to achieve increasingly better levels of environmental efficiencies in our premises to ensure the highest standards of commercial safety and hygiene. Particular emphasis will be placed upon measures to prevent pollution, minimise energy consumption, minimise waste and control water consumption.
At Cribbs Causeway, we aim to exercise not merely passive compliance, but will undertake a positive action programme by setting annual objectives and targets for improving our environmental management performance. We will strive to:
- Continuously improve our environmental performance
- Use energy and water efficiently
- Reduce consumption of materials, through re-use rather than disposal wherever possible Promote recycling
- Develop policies and practices which raise awareness and encourage and enable our staff to make a contribution to achieving environmental improvement
- Encourage our suppliers to minimise the impact of their operations on the environment through our procurement policies and practices
- Take account of environmental considerations as part of our investment process
- Apply the principals of best environmental practice in the planning, development, refurbishment and decommissioning of our buildings
- Develop environmental considerations into Product development and Stewardship " Maintain the bio-diversity of our estates through responsible stewardship
Environmental Targets & Objectives
As part of a continuous sustainability campaign in partnership with our client and the staff at The Mall at Cribbs Causeway, we have this year developed a series of initiatives in our drive to become carbon neutral.
The following projects have seen The Mall awarded the PAS 99 Standard which encompasses the coveted ISO 14001 Environmental Management System.
- A reduction in electricity consumption of 23%, brought about by introducing inverters, sensors and zoned car park lighting minimising nocturnal lighting.
- Gas reduced by 29%, achieved by better control of average Mall temperatures, lower hot water temperatures and targeted use of air conditioning.
- Water consumption down by 25.2% through waterless urinals, fountain brominator control, tap sprinklers and reduced water pressure in washrooms.
- Fossil diesel supplemented with bio-diesel made on-site from waste vegetable oil helps power our fleet of tractors, road-sweepers and other vehicles. We are currently making over 100 litres a week!
- Waste recycling doubled to over 60% by streaming and sorting waste from retailers. There are now nine waste streams ranging from cardboard to plastic coat hangers. The greatest impact has been through waste food to energy. Further segregation has been encouraged by training retail staff to take more accountability.
- Water course management of reed beds to reduce river pollution caused by motorway run-off.
- Trees pruned around underground car parks to increase natural lighting.
- Bird boxes made by local schools to encourage local nesting, recognised by a peregrine falcon living on a ledge at The Mall!
- Tree prunings used as mulch to suppress unwanted weeds.
- Retail Park refurbishment including cladding all buildings with silver reflective paint to help reduce the need for air cooling.
Campaign Result - CO2 reduced by 30%.
celebrating the achievement of certification to OHSAS 18001
THE MALL AT CRIBBS CAUSEWAY ACHIEVES AN INDUSTRY FIRST FOR SAFETY IN THE WORKPLACE
Managers at The Mall at Cribbs Causeway, Bristol's premier shopping centre, are celebrating the achievement of certification to OHSAS 18001 with BSI Management Systems. The Mall is the first shopping centre in the country to be awarded this safety certificate.
The Mall can now proudly boast that it has a totally integrated risk management system. This system was put in place by a joint effort between The Mall, BSI Management Systems and facilities management contractor MacLellan.
Earlier this year, The Mall at Cribbs Causeway became one of only four shopping centres in the UK to secure the environmental management certification ISO14001 and on the back of this success, decided to set itself the target of achieving the industry-leading OHSAS 18001 by the end of 2004. The audit by BSI Management Systems took place in October.
This award is good news for employees and customers alike in The Mall who can enjoy one of the safest places to work and shop in the country.
The Mall at Cribbs Causeway is owned by Prudential and JT Baylis and, following the successful implementation of this new safety system, Prudential has decided to introduce it into its other properties.
Jon Edwards, commercial director at The Mall, said: "We are very proud to have earned this safety certification - it represents a real effort from all members of staff who have helped to bring about its conception and implementation. It's a huge achievement to be able to say that we are the first in the country to receive this award."
From left to right:
John Ellis, Managing Director of MacLellan; Neil Hannah, Managing Director of BSI Management System; Martin Moore, Managing Director of PruPim (the property division of Prudential which co-owns The Mall); and Jon Edwards, Commercial Director of The Mall at Cribbs Causeway.